POW Camp List

Place

FormalCampName

OtherName

OtherJapaneseName

CampHistory

Java

Main Camp of Java POW Camp

Java Main Camp/ J.M.

ジャワ俘虜収容所本所

Established as Main camp of Java POW Camp in Batavia on 15 August 1942. There were No.1 Detached Camp (Tanjung Priok), No.2 Detached Camp (Batavia), No.3 Detached Camp (Batavia), No.4 Detached Camp (Batavia), No.5 Detached Camp (Batavia) and Patient Receiving Station. The camp was closed on 15 August 1945.

Java

Headquarter of Detached Camp of Main Camp

ジャワ俘虜収容所本所総分遣所

Established as General Detached Camp of Main Camp of Java POW Camp in Batavia on 15 August 1942. Closed on 15 August 1945.

Java

No.1 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp

Java No.1 Branch Camp/ Java No.1 POW Camp

ジャワ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.1 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp in Bandung on 15 August 1942. In November 1942, 4.500 POWs were transferred to Thailand. Under the No.1 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp, there were No.1 Detached Camp (Bandung), No.2 Detached Camp (Cimahi), No.3 Detached Camp (Cimahi) and No.4 Detached Camp (Cimahi) Closed on 15 August 1945.

Java

No.2 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp

Java No.2 Branch Camp/ Java No.2 POW Camp

ジャワ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.2 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp in Cilacap in August 1942. About 4800 POW moved to Thailand after the camp closed in February 1943. 

Java

No.3 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp

Java No.3 Branch Camp/ Java No.3 POW Camp

ジャワ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.3 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp in Surabaya in August 1942. 1.000 POWs were brought to Burma in November 1942. 2.400 POWs were moved to Thailand in January 1943. Closed in April 1943. The rest of POWs were transferred to Ambon, Haruku and Flores to be interned at Dispatched No.3 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp.

Java

Dispatched No.3 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp

ジャワ派遣第分所

Established in Surabaya as Dispatched No.3 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp after the No.3 Branch Camp was closed in April 1943. There were No.1 Detached Camp (Amahai, Ambon), No.2 Detached Camp (Flores), No.3 Detached Camp (Haruku) and No.4 Detached Camp (Ambon, Rian)

Java

No.4 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp

Java No.4 Branch Camp/ Java No.4 POW Camp

ジャワ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.4 Branch Camp of Java POW Camp in Malang in 15 August 1942. Under No.4 Branch Camp, there were No.1 Detached Camp (Malang), No.2 Detached Camp (Malang), No.3 Detached Camp (Malang) and No.4 Detached Camp (Malang). 5000 POWs were transferred to Thailand after the camp closed in February 1943.

Malay

Main Camp of Malay POW Camp

Malay Main Camp

マレイ俘虜収容所本所

Established as Main Camp of Malay POW Camp in Changi, Singapore on 15 August 1942. Under the Main Camp, there were No.1 Detached Camp (Changi, Singapore 1 November 1942), No.2 Detached Camp (Serang, Singapore 16 August 1942), No.3 Detached Camp (River Valley, Singapore 18 August 1942) and No.4 Detached Camp (Adam park). Closed on 15 August 1945.

Malay

No.1 Branch Camp of Malay POW Camp

Malay No.1 Branch Camp/ Malay No.1 POW Camp

マレイ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.1 Branch Camp of Malay POW Camp in Medan, Sumatra on 15 August 1942. Camp moved from Medan to Pekanbaru in June 1944. 15 Closed in August 1945.

Malay

No.1 Detached Camp of Malay POW Camp

Malay No.1 Detached Camp

マレイ俘虜収容所第分遣所

Established as No.1 Detached Camp in Changi, Singapore on 1 November 1942. Closed on 15 August 1945.

Malay

No.2 Branch Camp of Malay POW Camp

Malay No.2 Branch Camp

マレイ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.2 Branch Camp of Malay POW Camp in Palembang, Sumatra on 15 August 1942. Only Caucasian POWs were interned in this camp. Closed on 15 August 1945.

Malay

No.6 Branch Camp of Malay POW Camp

マレイ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.6 Branch Camp of Malay POW Camp in Rangoon for maintanance of the Burma-Siam Railway on 15 March 1944. Renamed as No.4 Branch Camp of Malay POW Camp on 1 Jully 1944. Closed on 29 January 1945.

Thai

Main Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai Main Camp

タイ俘虜収容所本所

Established as Main Camp of Thai POW Camp in Bang Pon on 15 August 1942. Moved to Kanchanaburi on 17 May 1943. Moved to Tha Moang after the completion of railway construction in November 1944. Moved to Bangkok in March 1945. Closed in August 1945

Thai

No.1 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.1 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.1 Branch Camp of Thai POW camp in Non Pladuk on 18 August 1942. Moved to Kanchanaburi on 17 May 1943. Renamed as the General dispatched camp of Main camp of Thai POW Camp on 25 November 1943. Under No.1 Branch Camp, there were No.1 Detached Camp (Non Pladuk) with 1,651 POWs, No.2 Detached Camp (Kinsayok, 160 km point) with 2,412 POWs, No.3 Detached Camp (Wan Pon, 110km point) with 1,302 POWs.

Thai No.1 Camp/ Thai No.6 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所 /タイ俘虜収容所第分所

The camp as renamed from No.6 Camp of Thai POW Camp to No.1 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp on 21 January 1943. Moved to Hindato in March 1943. Renamed as No.1 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp and stayed for the maintenance of the railway in October 1943. Since 15 February 1944 until the end of the war, the camp was placed in Ubon and Ratchathari.

Thai

No.2 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.2 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.2 Branch Camp of Thai in Chungkai on 16 August 1942. Moved to Tha Makhan and moved back to Chungkai in March 1942. Moved again back to Tha Makhan in August 1944. Returned to Chungkai in January 1945. Closed on 15 August 1945.

No.3 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.3 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

Established as No.3 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp in Thambyuzayat, Burma on 16 August 1942. The Japanese camp commander was Lt. Col. Yoshitada Nagatomo. No. 3 Branch Camp was in charge of the Thai/Burma border area construction such as, Songkurai (294km), Chaunggahlaya (303km), Payarhonzu, Three Pagoda path (108/307km), Angganung(105/310km), Regue (100/315km), Kyondaw (95/319km). There were 9.368 POWs in total in the camp. The POWs were divided into two groups. The 3.302 POWs were moved to Angganung dispatched camp, which was 108 km from Thanbyuzayat. The 6.066 POWs were sent to Payathonzu dispatched camp, which was 105 km from Thanbyuzayat. Before the construction ended, the No.3 Branch camp moved to Mezali in September 1943. After the completion of the Birma-Siam Railway, the camp moved to Angganung for maintenance and again moved to Thamakan in April 1944. The camp discontinued in August 1944. No.3 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp was asked to work for No.5 Railway Regiment, but because of the shortage of manpower, part of Angganung and Payathonzu detached camps were placed under the command of No.9 Railway Regiment. 

Thai

No.4 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.4 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

No.4 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp was set up in Wanyai, Thailand on 16 August 1942 under the Japanese POW camp commander Lt. Col. Tamie Ishii. The camp was requested to work for 4th Battalion of 9th Railway Regiment which was in charge of railway construction in Wanyai (120km point from Nong Pladuk) (3.308 POWs), Tonchan (3.100 POWs) , Kannyu, Saiyo, Hintuk (1.087 POWs), Kinsayok (2.339 POWs) and Mattner. Only Mattner was under the command of 3rd Company of 2nd Battalion of 9th Railway Regiment. In October 1942, after 1 week move by train to Ban Pong, 1200 POW moved from Ban Pong to Wang Yai (124km point) by walk for a week in rainy season. These POWs were brought to No.4 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp. The POW camp Headquarter was placed in Wanyai from the beginning by the end of the war. After the construction of the railway, the camp moved to Tha Muang in May 1944. The camp was closed on 15 August 1945. 

Thai

No.5 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.5 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

No.5 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp started in Thanbyuzyat on 25 January 1943. The camp moved to Apalon in April 1943, to Kandou in October 1943. The No.5 camp ceased exist in December 1943 when the camp was regrouped into No.3 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp that was in charge of railway maintenance in Angganung. The regrouped No.3 Branch camp moved to Thamakan in April 1944. The camp ended in August 1944.

Thai

No.6 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.6 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

No.6 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp started on 21 January 1943 in Kinsayok in August 1942. The Japanese camp commander was Major Yoshitaro Yebisu. The camp worked for No.6 Company, No.3 Battalion of No.9 Railway Regiment. POW in No.6 Branch Camp worked in Lin Thin (180km point from Nong Pladuk), Kui Yae (190km), Wang Hin, Hindat (197km), Prang Kasi (208km) and Bangan. The camp moved to Hindato in March 1943. After the construction ended, the camp was renamed as No.1 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp and continued the maintenance of the railway in Ubon and Ratchathari since 15 February 1944 until the end of the war. 

Thai

No.7 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.7 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

No.7 Branch started as No.3 Dispatched Camp of Thai POW Camp in Kanchanaburi on 28 March 1944. The camp was renamed as No.7 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp on 1 September 1944. The camp ended in Kanchanaburi on 15 August 1945. 

Thai

No.8 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp

Thai No.8 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第分所

No.8 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp was set up in Saigon, French Indo China on 1 September 1942 as No.1 Dispatched Camp of Thai POW Camp. The camp was renamed as No.8 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp on 1 September 1944 and closed on 15 August 1945.

Thai

No.10 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp 

Thai No.10 Camp

タイ俘虜収容所第10分所

No.10 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp was established in Long Thanh, French Indochina. The camp was moved to Lianga (French Indochina) in May 1945. The Camp was closed on 15 August 1945.

Thai

No.1 Detached Camp of Main camp of Thai POW Camp

タイ俘虜収容所本所第分遣所

No.1 Detached Camp of Main camp of Thai POW Camp was set up in Saigon on 21 September 1942. It was renamed as No.8 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp on 1 September 1944.

Thai

No.5 Detached Camp of Main camp of Thai POW Camp

タイ俘虜収容所本所第分遣所

There were two No.5 Detached Camps of Main Camp of Thai POW Camp. The first No.5 Detached Camps of Main Camp of Thai POW Camp was set up in Apalon in May 1944 and closed on 1 September 1944. The camp was annexed to No.1 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp. The second No.5 Detached Camps of Main Camp of Thai POW Camp was set up in Nakon Yoku on 18 March 1945 and closed on 15 August 1945.

Thai

No.6 Detached Camp of Main camp of Thai POW Camp

タイ俘虜収容所本所第分遣所

No.6 Dispatched Camp of Main camp of Thai POW Camp started in Apalon of Burma side in May 1944 and was annexed to No.1 Branch Camp of Thai POW Camp on 1 September 1945. Another No.6 Dispatched Camp of Main camp of Thai POW Camp started in Bangkok in June 1945 and closed on 15 August 1945. 

Thai

Nakom Pathom Sick Ward

ナコンパトム病室

Nakom Pathom attached sick ward was set up in December 1944 and closed on 15 August 1945.

Taiwan

No.4 Branch Camp of Taiwan POW Camp

Taiwan No.4 Branch Camp

台湾俘虜収容所第分所

17 July 1942 Established as No.4 Branch Camp of Taiwan POW Camp Krenko (Hualian). 7 June 1943 Moved to Shirakawa (Baihe), South suburb of Kagi (Chayi). 15 August 1945 Closed. Only officers were held at the camp.

Taiwan

No.6 Branch Camp of Taiwan POW Camp

Taiwan No.6 Branch Camp

台湾俘虜収容所第分所

August 1943 Established in Daichoku (Dazhi), Taihoku (Taipei). 15 August 1945 Closed. The camp was operated independently in Main Camp of Taiwan POW Camp.

Mukden

No.1 Branch Camp of Mukden POW Camp

Mukden No.1 Branch Camp

奉天俘虜収容所第分所

14 October 1944 Established as No.1 Branch Camp of Mukden POW Camp in Zheng Jiatun. 21 May 1945 Closed.

Hakodate

No.1 Branch Camp of Hakodate POW

Muroran Branch Camp/ Ashibetsu Branch Camp/ Hakodate 1-B

函館俘虜収容所第1分所/ 室蘭分所・芦別分所

The camp was set up as No.1 Branch Camp of Hakodate POW at Shiribetsu-cho, Muroran City, Hokkaido on 12 June 1942. The camp moved to Nakajima-cho, Muroran City on 15 January 1943. The POWs were used by Muroran refinery, Japan Iron & Steel Col,Ltd. Moved to Raijo, Ashibetsu-cho, Sorachi-gun, Hokkaido on 7 June 1945. The POWs were used by Ashibetsu Mining station, Mitsui Mining Company. 509 POWs (349 British, 155 Netherlands, and 5 American) were imprisoned at the end of the war. 53 POWs died while imprisonment.

Hakodate

No.3 Branch Camp of Hakodate POW Camp (Utashina)

Utashinai Branch Camp/ Hakodate 3-B

函館俘虜収容所第分所/ 歌志内分所/ 北海道炭坑空知炭坑

Established as No.3 Branch Camp of Hakodate POW Camp in July 1945. Sorachi Maining of Hokkaido Coal Mining Company used POWs as labour. 311 POWs (284 American, 26 British, 1 South African) were interned at the end of the war. All survived the imprisonment.

Sendai

No.4 Branch Camp of Sendai POW Camp

Ohashi Branch Camp/ Sendai 4-B/ No.3 Branch Camp of Hakodate POW Camp (Kamaishi) / Hakodate 3-B

函館俘虜収容所第分所/ 大橋分所/ 東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 仙台俘虜収容所第分所/ 日本製鉄釜石大橋鉱山

Established as No. 2 Branch Camp of Hakodate POW Camp at Kamaishi City, Iwate Prefecture on 30 November 1942. Moved to Ohashi, Kasshi-mura, Kamihei-gun (current Kasshi-cho, Kamaishi City), Iwate Prefecture on 1 April 1943. Transferred under the jurisdiction of Tokyo POW Camp and renamed as  No. 6 Branch Camp on 20 April 1944. Transferred under the jurisdiction of Sendai POW Camp and renamed as No. 4 branch Camp on 14 April 1945. Although the camp was renamed several times, the camp location was the same since 1 April 1943 by the end of the war. The POWs were used by Ohashi mining, Japan Iron & Steel Co.,Ltd. 395 POWs (198 Canadian, 93 Netherlands, 56 British, 40 American and 8 Australian) were imprisoned at the end of the war. 15 POWs died while imprisonment.

Sendai

No.5 Branch Camp of Sendai POW Camp

Kamaishi Branch Camp/ Sendai 5-B/ No.3 Branch Camp of Hakodate POW Camp/ No.7 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp/ Sendai No.5 Branch Camp

函館俘虜収容所第分所/ 釜石分所/ 東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 仙台俘虜収容所第分所/ 日本製鉄釜石製鉄所

Established as Hakodate No.3 Branch Camp at Dai 4 Chiwari 68-1, Oaza Kamaishi, Kamaishi City, Iwate Prefecture on 10 November 1943. Transferred to Tokyo POW Camp jurisdiction and renamed as No.7 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp on 20 April 1944. Transferred to Sendai POW Camp jurisdiction and renamed as No.5 Branch Camp of Sendai POW Camp on 14 April 1945. The camp stayed at the same location until destroyed by the US fleet in August 1945. The camp moved to Yanoura, Kamaishi City immediately after the end of the War. The POWs were used by Kamaishi Refinery, Japan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. 351 POWs (168 Netherlands, 86 British, 78 American and 19 other nationality) were imprisoned at the end of the war. 50 POWs died while imprisonment, 32 were killed by the US fleet gunfire.

Sendai

No.8 Branch Camp of Sendai POW Camp

Kosaka Branch Camp/ Sendai 8-D/ No.10 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp/ Tokyo No.10 Branch Camp

東京俘虜収容所第10分所/ 小坂分所/ 仙台俘虜収容所第分所

No.8 Branch Camp of Sendai POW Camp was set up originally as No.10 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp at Kosaka Mining Smelting Station in Otanichi, Kosaka-machi, Kazuno-gun, Akita-prefecture on 1 December 1944. The camp moved to Sendai POW Camp jurisdiction and was renamed as No.8 Branch Camp of Sendai POW Camp on 14 April 1945. The camp was ran by Fujita Gumi (present Dowa Holdings Co. Ltd.). The camp held 343  (236 Americans, 99 Netherlands, 8 British POWs. 8 POW died during the internment. 

Tokyo

Main Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Shinagawa POW Camp/ Tokyo Main Camp/ Omori Main Camp

東京俘虜収容所本所/ 品川俘虜収容所/ 品川本所/ 大森本所

Established as Shinagawa POW Camp at 3-chome Higashi-Shinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo on 12 September 1942. The camp was placed at Keihin Canal Construction Company building. Renamed as Main Camp of Tokyo POW Camp on 25 September 1942. Moved to Arai-cho, Omori-ku (current Heiwajima, Ota-ku), Tokyo on 20 July 1943. The camp was called as Omori Main Camp. The camp was closed in September 1945. The POWs were used by Nippon Express Company. 606 POWs (437 American, 115 British, 28 Netherlands and 26 other nationality) were imprisoned at the end of the war. 41 POWs died while imprisonment.

Tokyo

No.1 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Kawasaki Branch Camp/ Tokyo 1-B

東京俘虜収容所第1分所/ 川崎分所/ 川崎仮俘虜収容所/ 日本通運川崎支店

Established as Kawasaki Temporary POW Camp at 4-chome Oshima-cho, Kawasaki City, Kanagawa on 24 August 1942. Renamed as No.1 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp on 25 September 1942. The POWs were used by Nippon Express Company and so on. 205 POWs (135 British, 48 American, 8 Australian and 14 other nationality) were imprisoned at the end of the war. 16 POWs died while imprisonment.

No.3 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp (Yokohama)

Yokohama Branch Camp/ Tokyo No.2 Branch Camp (Yokohama Park Camp) /No.2 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp /Tokyo 3-B

東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 横浜俘虜収容所/ 東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 横浜分所

Established as Yokohama POW Camp at Yokohama Baseball Stadium in Yokohama on 12 September 1942. Renamed as No.2 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp on 25 September 1942. Renamed as No.3 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp on 1 August 1943. Closed on 1 May 1944. POWs were used as labour at dispatched camps of Nisshin Oil Co.ltd, Yokohama Firebrick Company and Yokohama Ship Loading company. 7 POWs died while imprisonment.

No.3 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp (Nagaoka)

Nagaoka Branch Camp/ Tokyo 3-B/ Tokyo No.3 Branch Camp

東京俘虜収容所第分所 長岡分所

01/05/1945 No.3 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp was set up at the Hokuetsu Den’ka Kogyo (Hokuetsu Metal Co.Ltd.) in Zao-cho, Nagaoka-city, Niigata-prefecture. The camp held 198 Netherlands POWs (mostly Indo-European POWs). The POWs were in charge of production of Carbon, Carbide and steel. Two POWs died in the camp. 

Tokyo

No.4 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Naoetsu Branch Camp/ Tokyo 4-B

東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 直江津分所

Established as No.4 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp at Naoetsu factories of Shin-Etsu Chemical Co.,Ltd. in Naoetsu-cho, Nakakubiki-gun (current Joetsu City), Niigata Prefecture on 7 December 1942. Moved to Kasuga-shinden, Arita-mura, Nakakubiki-gun (current Kawara-machi, Joetsu City) in February 1942. The camp was closed in September 1945. Shin’etsu Chemical Company and others used POWs as labour. 698 POWs (338 American, 231 Australian, 90 British and 39 Netherlands) were interned by the end of the war. 61 POWs died while imprisonment. The post-war War Crimes Trial gave severe sentences to the camp staff; death sentence to 8 Japanese guards, life imprisonment to 3, imprisonment to 4 staffs.

Tokyo

No.5 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Niigata Sea and Land Transportation Branch Camp/ Tokyo 5-B

東京俘虜収容所第5分所/ 新潟海陸運送分所/ 新潟海陸運送

Established as No.5 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp at Nutari, Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture on 20 August 1943. Moved to Kawato Shinden, Ogata-mura, Nakakanbara-gun (current Kogane-machi, Niigata City) on 4 December 1943. POWs were moved temporarily to Niigata Sea and Land Transportation Company factories and Niigata Ironworks Company due to an accident at POWs barrack on 18 January 1944. POWs returned to the original camp location at Ogata-mura on 1 April 1944. 692 POWs (527 American, 109 Canadian, 34 British, 18 Netherlands and 4 other nationality) at the end of the war. 99 POWs died while imprisonment. One American POW was stabbed to death after his attempt to escape.

Tokyo

No.6 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Suwa Branch Camp/ Tokyo 6-B

東京俘虜収容所第6分所/ 諏訪分所/ 日本鋼管諏訪鉱業所

Established as No.6 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp at Kitayama-mura, Suwa-gun (current Kitayama, Chino City), Nagano Prefecture on 4 June 1945. The camp was cleased in September 1945. The POWs were used by Suwa refinery of Nippon Kokan Steel Ltd. 243 POWs (91 Netherlands, 57 American, 55 British, 34 Canadian and 6 other nationalities) were imprisoned by the end of the war. 4 POWs died while imprisonment.

Tokyo

No.7 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Hitachi Daioin Branch Camp/ Tokyo 7-B/ Tokyo No.6 Dispatched Camp/ No.6 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 東京俘虜収容所第派遣所/日立大雄院分所/ 日立鉱業日立鉱山精錬所

Established as No.8 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp at Daio'in Smelter, Hitachi Mine (Nippon Mining Co., Ltd, present JX Nippon Mining & Metals) in Miyata-cho, Hitachi City, Ibaraki Prefecture on 12 May 1943. Renamed as Tokyo No.6 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp on 1 August 1943. Renamed as No.7 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp on 1 August 1945. The camp closed in September 1945. The POWs were used by Hitachi Mine. 349 POWs (280 Netherlands, 60 American and 9 Norwegian) were imprisoned at the end of the war. 10 POWs died while imprisonment.

Tokyo

No.8 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Hitachi Motoyama Branch Camp/ Tokyo 8-B/ Tokyo No.8 Branch Camp/ Tokyo No.12 Dispatched Camp/ No.12 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

東京俘虜収容所第12派遣所/ 日立本山分所/ 東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 日本鉱業日立鉱山

Established as No.12 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp at Hitachi Mine (Nippon Mining Co.,Ltd., present JX Nippon Mining & Metals) in Motoyama, Miyata-cho, Hitachi-city, Ibaraki prefecture on 5 March 1944. The Camp was renamed as No.8 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp in August 1945. The Camp closed in September 1945. The number of the POWs by the end of the war was 293 POWs ( 145 Netherlands, 80 British, 68 American 6). 5 POWs died during the internment.

Tokyo

No.9 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Ashio Branch Camp/ Tokyo 9-B/ Tokyo No.8 Dispatched Camp/ No.8 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

東京俘虜収容所第分所/ 足尾分所/ 東京俘虜収容所第派遣所

Established as Tokyo No.8 Dispatched Camp at Sunahata, Ashio-cho, Kamitsuga-gun, Tochigi Prefecture on 10 November 1943. Renamed as No.9 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp in August 1945. The camp closed in September 1945. The POWs were used for mining at Ashio Refinery of Furukawa Mining Co.,Ltd. 245 POWs (210 American, 32 British and 3 other nationality) were imprisoned by the end of the war. 24 POWs died while imprisonment.

Tokyo

Detached Camp of No.9 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Ashio Detached Camp/ Tokyo 9-B Detach/ Detached Camp of Tokyo POW Main Camp/ Detached Camp of Tokyo No.9 Branch Camp

東京俘虜収容所第分所分遣所/ 足尾分所分遣所

Established as Detached Camp of Main Camp of Tokyo POW Camp in Nojimata, Ashio-cho, Kamitsuga-gun, Tochigi Prefecture on 4 June 1945. Renamed as Detached Camp of Tokyo No.9 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp in August 1945. The camp closed in September 1945. The POWs were used at Ashio Refinery of Furukawa Mining Co.,Ltd. 213 POWs (121 American, 80 Dutch and 12 other nationalities) by the end of the war. 1 POW died while imprisonment.

Tokyo

No.9 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Nippon Kokan Ltd. Kawasaki Ogimachi Dispatched Camp/ Tokyo 9-D/ Tokyo No.9 Dispatched Camp

東京俘虜収容所第派遣所/ 日本鋼管川崎扇町分所

Established at Oogi-cho 1, (Kawasaki-ku), Kawasaki-city, Kanagawa on 10 November 1943. The Camp closed on 31 March 1945. The Kawasaki Oogi-machi factory of Nippon Kokan Ltd used POWs as labour. After the camp closed, most of the POW were transferred to No.10 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp. 4 POWs died during the internment.

Tokyo

No.10 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Sumidagawa Branch Camp/ Tokyo 10-B/ No.20 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

東京俘虜収容所第10分所/ 隅田川分所/ 日本通運隅田川支店

Established as No.20 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp in Minami-Sen’ju, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo on 1 July 1944. Renamed as No.10 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp in August 1945. The Camp closed in September 1945. Sumidagawa Branch of Nippon Express used POWs as labour. The camp held 256 POWs (87 British, 64 Americans, 55 Canadian, and 50 Netherlands). 2 POW died during the internment. 

Tokyo

No.15 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp

Niigata Ironworks Branch Camp/ Tokyo 15-B/ Tokyo No.15 Dispatched Camp/ No.15 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp/ Toyo No.15 Branch Camp

新潟鉄工所分所/ 東京俘虜収容所第15分所/東京俘虜収容所第15派遣所

Established as No.15 Dispatched Camp of Tokyo POW Camp at Akiba-dori, Yamanoshita, Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture on 1 April 1944. Renamed as No.15 Branch Camp of Tokyo POW Camp in August 1945. The Camp closed in September 1945. Niigata Engineering Co.,Ltd. (present Niigata Power Systems Co.,Ltd.) used POWs as labour. 320 POWs (160 American, 82 Canadian, 41 British, 26 Australian and 11 Dutch) were interend by the end of the war. 6 POWs died while imprisonment.

Nagoya

Main Camp of Nagoya POW Camp

名古屋俘虜収容所本所

Established at Taisei Elementary Schoo in Nagoya city on 5 April 1945. The camp was lost due to airraid on 18 May 1945. Moved to Minami-Sotobori-machi in Sakae, Nagoya city. The camp did not hold POWs.

Nagoya

No.1 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp

Kamioka Branch Camp/ Nagoya 1-D/ Nagoya No.1 Branch Camp/ Kamioka Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ No.7 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ Osaka No.7 Branch Camp

名古屋俘虜収容所第分所/ 神岡分所/ 三井鉱山神岡鉱業所/大阪俘虜収容所神岡分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第7分所

Established as Kamioka Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp at Wasaho, Aso-mura, Yoshiki-gun (current Kamioka-cho, Hida City), Gifu Prefecture on 8 December 1942. Renamed as No.7 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 18 February 1943. Changed administrative distriction to Nagoya POW Camp and renamed as No.1 Branch Camp Nagoya POW Camp on 6 April 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Mitsui Mining Co.,Ltd.(present Nippon Cokes & Engineering Company) used POWs as labour. 594 POWs (320 American, 269 Netherlands and 5 British) were interned by the end of the war. 85 POWs died while imprisonment.

Nagoya

No.2 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp

Narumi Branch Camp/ Nagoya 2-D/ Nagoya No.2 Branch Camp/ Osaka No.11 Branch Camp No.11 Branch Camp of Osaka POW/ Camp (Narumi)

名古屋俘虜収容所第分所/ 鳴海分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第11分所/ 日本車両名古屋工場

Established as No.11 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp at Arimatsuura, Narumi-cho, Aichi-gun (current Midori-ku, Nagoya City), Aichi Prefecture on 28 December 1943. Changed administrative jurisdiction to Nagoya POW Camp and renamed as No.2 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp on 6 April 1945. Sept 1945 Closed. Nippon Rolling Stock (Nippon Sharyo) used POWs as labour. 273 POWs (189 American, 64 British, 11 Canadian and 9 other nationalities) were interned by the end of war. 22 POWs died during imprisonment. 

No.4 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp

Iruka Branch Camp/ Nagoya 4-B/ Nagoya No.4 Branch Camp/ Osaka No.16 Branch Camp/ No.16 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

名古屋俘虜収容所第4分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第16分所/ 入鹿分所/ 石原産業紀州鉱業所

Established as No.16 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp at Itaya, Iruka-mura (current Kiwa-cho), Minamimuro-gun, Mie Prefecture on 25 June 1944. Changed administrative jurisdiction to Nagoya POW Camp and renamed as No.4 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp on 6 April 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. 284 British POWs in Thai-Burma Railway were transferred to this camp. 16 POWs died during the ineternment. The POWs were used at Kishu Mine (copper and sulfide ores), Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha, Ltd.

Nagoya

No.5 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp

No.17 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ Yokkaichi Branch Camp/ Nagoya 5-D/ Nagoya No.5 Branch Camp

名古屋俘虜収容所第分所/四日市分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第17分所/ 石原産業四日市精錬工業

Established as No.17 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp at 1-Banchi, Ishihara-cho, Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture on 11 August 1944. 6 Apr 1945 Changed administrative jurisdiction to Nagoya POW Camp and named as No.5 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp. Camp closed in September 1945. Yokkaichi factory, Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha, Ltd. used 296 POWs (196 American, 75 Netherlands, 25 British) by the end of the war. 19 POWs died while imprisonment.

Nagoya

No.10 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp

Fushiki Sea and Land Transportation Branch Camp/ Nagoya 10-D/ Nagoya No.10 Branch Camp

名古屋俘虜収容所第10分所/伏木海陸運送分所

Established as No.10 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp at Tatenoue, No-machi, Takaoka City, Toyama Prefecture on 18 June 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Fushiki Kairiku Unso Co. Ltd (transportation) used 294 POWs (166 American, 47 Netherlands, 32 British 27 Australian and 22 other nationality). 5 POWs died while imprisonment.

Nagoya

No.11 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp

Toyama Nippon Soda Iwase Ironworks Branch Camp/ Nagoya 11-D agoya No.11 Branch Camp

名古屋俘虜収容所第11分所/ 富山日本曹達岩瀬製鋼分所

Established as No.11 Branch Camp of Nagoya POW Camp at Mori, Ohirota, Nishimiya, Toyama City, Toyama Prefecture on 28 May 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Iwase Ironworks station, Nippon Soda Co.,Ltd. used 148 POWs (75 Netherlands, 48 American and 25 British). 2 POWs died while imprisonment.

Osaka

No.1 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

Osaka Main Camp/ Osaka No.1 Branch Camp/ Osaka 1-B/ Main Camp of Osaka POW Camp

大阪俘虜収容所本所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第1分所/ 日本通運大阪支店/ 大阪製鉄

Established as Osaka Detached Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp at 3-chome, Gojo-dori, Minato-ku, Osaka City on 8 June 1942. Reorganized and renamed as Main Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 21 September 1942. POWs were moved temporarily to Tsumori after the camp was destroyed by airraid on 1 June 1945. POWs moved to Nishinomachi, Kitafukuzaki, Minato-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka and renamed as No.1 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 10 July 1945. The administrative office this Main Camp moved to an elementary school building at Aza-shimoshinden, Shinden-mura, Mishima-gun (present Senriyama, Suita City), Osaka Prefecture. Camp closed on 2 September 1945. Osaka harbor and railway stations by Nippon Express Co.,Ltd and others used 443 POWs (326 British, 42 American, 24 Chinese, 19 British Indian, 17 Netherlands and 15 other nationalities). 154 POWs died while imprisonment.

Osaka

No.4 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

Ikuno Branch Camp/ Osaka 4-B/ Osaka No.19 Branch Camp/ No.19 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

大阪俘虜収容所第分所/ 生野分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第19分所/ 三菱鉱業生野鉱業所

Established as No.19 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 28 March 1945. British POWs from No.14 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in Wakayama and 40 POW officers (former No.2 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp and No.8 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp) were interned (383 British, 44 American, 13 other nationalities). Ikuno Copper Mining of Mitsubishi Mining used POWs as labour.

Osaka

No.4 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

Tanagawa Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ Osaka 4-D/ Osaka No.4 Branch Camp

大阪俘虜収容所第分所/ 多奈川分所/ 飛島組多奈川作業所/ 川崎重工造船所

Established as Tanagawa Branch of Osaka POW Camp at Tanagawa village, Sen’nan-gun, Osaka (Tanigawa) on 22 November 1942. The camp was renamed as No.4 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 18 February 1943. Camp closed on 29 March 1945. POWs moved to Umeda (梅田), Ikuno (生野), Akenobe (明延), Tsuruga (敦賀) Branch camps.103 POWs died during this internment. 1 American POW was poisoned to death due to his attempt to escape. About 200 American and Netherlands POWs were transferred to No.11 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp (later No.8 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp) in Inatsuki, Kaho-gun, Fukuoka. The No.4 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp was run by Tanagawa work station of Tobishima-gumi (飛鳥組/ Tobishima Corporation) Construction company. POWs were engaged in construction work of shipyard of Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. 103 POWs died during internment. 

Osaka

No.5 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp

Kobe Kawasaki Branch Camp/ Osaka 5-D/ Osaka No.5 Branch Camp/ Osaka No.5 Dispatched Camp/ No.5 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ Osaka No.5 Branch Camp/ Branch Camp of Kawasaki Heavy Industry of Osaka POW Camp

川崎重工業艦船工場/ 大阪俘虜収容所第分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第派遣所/ 神戸川崎分所

Established as Branch Camp of Kawasaki Heavy Industry of Osaka POW Camp at 2-chome, Maruyama-cho, Hayasida-ku, Kobe-city (present Nagata-ku) on 8 December 1942. Renamed as No.5 Branch Camp on 8 February 1943. Remaned as No.5 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 25 October 1943. Camp closed on 21 May 1945. Kawasaki Heavy Industries Shipyard, Ltd. used the POWs as labour. The POWs went to work by tram Shin’yu line (present Kobe dentetsu). 51 POWs died during the internment. The rest of the POWs were transferred to Hiroshima, Fukuoka or Nagoya POW Camps after the camp was closed.

Osaka

No.7 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp

Harima Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ Osaka No.6 Branch Camp/ No.6 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ Osaka 7-D/ Osaka No.7 Dispatched Camp

大阪俘虜収容所第分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第派遣所/ 播磨分所

Established as Harima Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp at Harima Shipyard in Aioi city, Hyogo prefecture on 8 December 1942. Renamed as No.6 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 18 February 1943. Renamed as No.7 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 25 October 1943. Camp closed on 21 May 1945. Harima Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Ltd used 395 Netherlands (Indishe), 5 British POWs. 39 POWs died during the internment. One Netherlands soldier was shot to death after his attempt to escape.

Osaka

No.8 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp (Sakurajima)

Sakurajima Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp/ Osaka 4-D/ Osaka No.8 Branch Camp/ Osaka No.4 Dispatched Camp/ No.4 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

大阪俘虜収容所第分所/ 桜島分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第4派遣所

Established as Sakurajima branch of Osaka POW Camp at Takami-cho, Konohana-ku, Osaka-city on 20 January 1943. Renamed as No.8 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 18 February 1943. Remaned as No.4 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp on 1 October 1943. Camp closed on 18 May 1945. Sakurajima Dock, Hitachi Zosen Corporation used POWs. 38 POWs died during the internment.

Osaka

No.8 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp (Nodanuma)

Nodanuma Branch Camp/ Osaka 8-B/ Osaka No.8 Branch Camp/ Osaka No.23 Branch Camp/ No.23 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

大阪俘虜収容所第分所/ 野田沼分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第23分所

No.8 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp was established as No.23 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in Hyouzu village, Yasu-gun, Shiga prefecture (present- Chouzu-cho, Yasu-city) on 18 May 1945. Renamed as No.8 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. 196 Netherlands (mostly Indische) POWs from Harima branch (No.7 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp, No.6 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp) were interned. Shiga prefectural government used POWs  reclamation works of Biwa Lake(Nodanuma) and farming. No POWs died in the camp.

Osaka

No.9 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

Notogawa Branch Camp/ Osaka 9-B/ Osaka No.24 Branch Camp/ No.24 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

大阪俘虜収容所第分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第24分所/ 能登川分所

Established as No.24 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in Notogawa in Kan’zaki county, Shiga Prefecture (currently Higashi Oomi city) on 18 May 1945. Renamed as No.9 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. POWs were mainly from No.7 Dispatched Camp of Osaka POW Camp (Harima Branch) and Main Camp of Osaka POW Camp (Osaka). Shiga prefecture government used 301 POWs (109 American, 69 Netherlands, 67 British, 55 Australia, 3 New Zealand) for reclamation works of lake Biwa between Inawa and Ben’ten villages. No POW died in this camp.

Osaka

No.11 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp (Rokuroshi)

Rokuroshi Branch Camp/ Osaka 11-B/ Osaka No.11 Branch Camp/ Osaka No.26 Branch Camp/ No.26 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

大阪俘虜収容所第11分所/ 六呂師分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第26分所/陸軍六呂師演習場

Established as No.26 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in Minamirokuroshi, Sakatani-mura, Ono-gun, Fukui Prefecture on 18 May 1945. Formal set up of the camp was 10 June 1945. Renamed as No.11 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Japanese Army used 361 POWs (351 American, 5 British and 5 Dutch) for construction works of POWs barracks. 1 POW died while imprisonment.

Osaka

No.13 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp

Tsumori Branch Camp/ Osaka 13-B

津守分所/ 大阪俘虜収容所第13分所/ 藤永田造船所津守造船所ほか

Established as No.13 Branch Camp of Osaka POW Camp in Tsumori-cho, Nishinari-ku, Osaka City on 20 August 1943. Camp closed on 16 May 1845. Fujinagata Dockyard Company (later annexed to Mitsui Shipbuilding & Engineering Co.,Ltd.) and others used POWs. 89 POWs died while imprisonment.

Hiroshima

No.1 Branch Camp of Hiroshima POW Camp

Zentsuji Main Camp/ Main Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp/ Hiroshima 1-B/ Hiroshima No.1 Branch Camp

広島俘虜収容所第分所/ 善通寺俘虜収容所/ 善通寺分所/ 日本通運高松支店ほか

Established as Main Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp in Oaza-Sakino, Zentsuji-cho, Kagawa Prefecture on 14 January 1942. Changed Administrative district to Hiroshima POW Camp and renamed as No.1 Branch Camp of Hiroshima POW Camp on 13 April 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Nippon Express Company used 110 POWs (104 American, 5 New Zealander and 1 British) . 10 POWs died while imprisonment.

Hiroshima

No.2 Branch Camp of Hiroshima POW Camp

Niihama Isoura Branch Camp/ Fukuoka No.13 Branch Camp/ No.13 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Hiroshima 2-B/ Hiroshima No.2 Branch Camp/ No.3 Branch Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp/ Zentsuji No.3 Branch Camp

新居浜磯浦分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第13分所/ 善通寺俘虜収容所第3分所/ 広島俘虜収容所第2分所

Established as No.13 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp at Isoura, Niihama City, Ehime Prefecture on 22 April 1943. Changed Adiministrative District to Zentsuji POW Camp and renamed as No.3 Branch Camp of Zentstuji POW Camp on 14 July 1943. Changed Administrative District to Hiroshima POW Camp and renamed as No.2 Branch Camp of Hiroshima POW Camp on 13 Apr 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Niihama factory of Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd. used 644 POWs (401 Netherlands, 242 Australian and 1 Armenian). 33 POWs died while imprisonment.

Hiroshima

No.3 Dispatched Camp of Hiroshima POW Camp

Niihama Yamane Dispatched Camp/ Branch Compound of Niihama Isoura Branch Camp/ Hiroshima 3-D/ Yamane Detached station No.3 Branch Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp / No.4 Branch Camp of Zentsuji Camp/ Zentsuji No.4 Branch Camp/ No.3 Dispatched Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp

住友鉱業別子鉱業所/ 新居浜山根派遣所/ 善通寺俘虜収容所第分所山根分宿所/ 善通寺俘虜収容所第分所/ 善通寺俘虜収容所第派遣所/ 広島俘虜収容所第派遣所

Established as a Yamane Detached station of No.3 Branch Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp at Yamane, Sumino-cho, Nii-gun (current Niihama City), Ehime Prefecture on 1 May 1944. Renamed as No.4 Branch Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp on 18 November 1944. Renamed as on No.3 Dispatched Camp of Zentsuji POW Camp on 20 March 1945. Changed to Administrative District to Hiroshima POW Camp and renamed as No.3 Dispatched Camp of Hiroshima POW Camp on 13 April 1945. Besshi Mining station, Sumitomo Coal Mining Co., Ltd. (present Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd.) used POWs. 12 POWs died while imprisonment. Camp closed on 19 May 1945. POWs were transferred to No.2 Branch Camp of Hiroshima POW Camp.

Fukuoka

No.1 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Kumamoto Branch Camp and Fukuoka Branch Camp/ Kumamoto Branch Camp of Yawata Tempory POW Camp/ Fukuoka 1-B,/ Fukuoka No.1 Branch Camp

熊本分所/ 八幡仮俘虜収容所熊本分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所熊本分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第分所

Established as Kumamoto Branch Camp of Yawata Temporary POW Camp at Aza-Saburotsuka, Kengun-cho, Kumamoto City, Kumamoto Prefecture on 26 November 1942. Reorganized as Kumamoto Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 January 1943. Renamed as No.1 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 March 1943. Moved to Tatara-cho, Kasuya-gun (current Tatara, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka City), Fukuoka on 20 November 1943. Moved to Oaza-Mushiroda, Fukuoka city, Fukuoka on 17 April 1944. Moved to Hakozaki-cho, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka city, Fukuoka on 20 January 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Seibu (West) District Army was in charge of POWs 381 POWs (153 American, 140 British, 58 Netherlands, 28 Australian and 2 other nationalities) and Kengun Airfield used them for airfield construction. 147 POWs died while imprisonment.

Fukuoka

No.2 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Nagasaki Branch Camp of Yahata Temporary POW Camp/ Nagasaki Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Koyagi Branch Camp/ Fukuoka 2-B Fukuoka No.2 Branch Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 香焼分所/ 川南造船香焼島造船所/ 長崎県西彼杵郡香焼島八幡俘虜仮収容所長崎分所/ 八幡仮俘虜収容所長崎分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所長崎分所

Established as Nagasaki Branch Camp of Yawata Temporal POW Camp in Koyagi-mura, Nishisonogi-gun, Nagasaki Prefecture on 25 October 1942. Reorganized as Nagasaki Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 January 1943. Renamed as No.2 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 March 1943. Camp closed in September 1945. Koyagi Island Dock, Kawanami Engineering used 497 POWs (324 Netherlands, 160 British, 5 American and 8 other nationality). 72 POWs died while imprisonment.

Fukuoka

No.3 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Yawata Branch Camp and Kokura Branch Camp/ Yawata Temporal POW Camp/ Yawata Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Fukuoka 3-B/ Fukuoka No.3 Branch Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 日本製鉄八幡製鉄所/ 八幡分所/ 小倉分所

Established as Yahata Temporary POW Camp in Yahata-city (present Naka-machi, Hayata-Higashi ward, Kita Kyushu-city) on 23 September 1942. Reorganized as Yahata Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 January 1943. Renamed as No.3 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 March 1943. Moved to Oaza Nakai-Yagura-shita, Kokura-city (present Kokura Kita-ward, Kita Kyushu-city) on 15 December 1943. Camp closed in September 1945. Yahata iron refinery station, Japan Iron & Steel Col, Ltd. (present Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal) used 195 POWs (616 American, 211 Dutch, 193 British, 132 British-Indians, 22 Chinese, 9 Portugese, 3 Australians, 3 other nationalities.). 158 POWs died during the internment. 

Fukuoka

No.4 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Moji Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Moji Dispatched Station of Yawata Temporary POW Camp/ Fukuoka 4-B/ Fukuoka No.4 Branch Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 門司分所/ 関門地区港湾運送業界/ 八幡仮俘虜収容所門司派遣所/ 福岡俘虜収容所門司分所

Established as Moji Dispatched Station of Yawata Temporary POW Camp at Kusunoki-cho, Moji City (current Oimatsu-cho, Moji-ku, Kitakyushu City) on 28 November 1942. Reorganized to be Moji Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 January 1943. Renamed as No.4 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 March 1943. Camp closed in Septembe 1945. Kanmon Area Harbor Transport Company used 305 POWs (107 British, 102 American, 91 Netherlands and 5 other nationalities). 191 POWs died while imprisonment.

Fukuoka

No.5 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp 

Kawasaki Omine Branch Camp/ Omine Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Fukuoka 5-B/ Fukuoka No.5 Branch Camp/ Fukuoka No.8 Dispatched Camp/ No.8 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第派遣所/川崎大峰分所/  福岡俘虜収容所大峰分所/古河鉱業大峰鉱業所

Established as Omine Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp at Omine Coal Mine in Kawasaki-cho, Kawasaki-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture on 22 January 1943. Renamed as No.5 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 March 1943. Renamed as No.8 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 December 1943. Renamed again as No.5 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Omine mining station, Furukawa Mining Co., Ltd. used 688 POWs (341 British, 152 Canadian, 130 Australian, 44 Netherlands and 21 American). 21 POWs died while imprisonment.

Fukuoka

No.6 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Mizumaki Branch Camp / Takamatsu Mining Station Mizumaki Mining Station Fukuoka 6-B Fukuoka No.6 Branch Camp Fukuoka No.15 Branch Camp No.15 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp Fukuoka No.9 Dispatched Camp No.9 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第15分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第派遣所/ 水巻分所/ 折尾分所/ 日本鉱業遠賀鉱業所/ 高松炭坑

Established as No.15 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp at Muta, Mizumaki-cho, Onga-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture on 22 April 1943. Renamed as No.9 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 December 1943. Renamed as No.6 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. On'ga Mining station, Nippon Mining Co.Ltd. used 1062 POWs (764 Netherlands, 138 American, 117 British, 41 Australian and 2 other nationalities). 74 POWs died while imprisonment. 1 Australian POW was shot to death due to his attempt to escape. The Fukuoka POW Camp commander, Col. Iju SUGASAWA and the Mizumaki Branch Camp Commander, Capt. Suematsu and a guard were sentenced to death by hanging at postwar BC class War Criminal Trial in Yokohama,.

Fukuoka

No.7 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Futase Branch Camp/ Fukuoka 7-B/ Fukuoka No.16 Branch Camp/ No.16 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp //Fukuoka No.10 Dispatched Camp No.10 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 二瀬分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第16分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第10派遣所/

Established as No.16 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp at the former “labor club” Futase cho-, Kaho-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture (present Iizuka-city, Fukuoka Prefecture) 15 May 1943. Renamed as No.10 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 1 December 1943. Renamed as No.7 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. The camp location did not change all through the period. Futase Mining station, Nittetsu Mining Co.,Ltd. used 547 POWs (359 Netherlands, 186 Americans, British). 54 POWs died during inprosonment.

Fukuoka

No.7 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Kudamatsu Dispatched Camp/ Fukuoka No.7 Dispatched Camp/ Fukuoka 7-D

日立製作所笠戸工場/ 福岡俘虜収容所第派遣所/ 下松派遣所

Established as Fukuoka No.7 Dispatched Camp at Kudamatsu City, Yamaguchi Prefecture on 13 October 1943. Camp closed on 30 June 1945. Kasado factory, Hitachi used POWs. They were transferred to No.1 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp after the camp closed. No POW died while imprisonment.

Fukuoka

No.8 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

No.11 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Fukuoka No.11 Dispatched Camp/ No.19 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Fukuoka No.19 Branch Camp/ Fukuoka No.8 Branch Camp/ Inatsuki Branch Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第19分所/ 稲築分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第11派遣所/ 三井鉱山山野鉱業所

Established as No.19 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in Hira, Inatsuki-machi, Kaho-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture on 3 October 1943. Renamed as No.11 Dispatched Camp on 19 April 1944. Renamed as No.8 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. The camp location did not change all through the period. Yamano Mining station, Mitsui Mining Co.,Ltd. used 573 POWs (Netherlands 274, British 233, American 66). 25 POWs died during the internment.

Fukuoka

No.9 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Miyata Branch Camp/ Fukuoka 9-B/ Fukuoka No.9 Branch Camp/ Fukuoka No.20 Branch Camp/ No.20 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp/ Fukuoka No.12 Dispatched Camp/ No.12 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第分所/ 宮田分所/ 福岡俘虜収容所第20分所/  福岡俘虜収容所第12派遣所/大之浦炭坑貝島炭坑

Established as No.20 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp at Onoura Coal Mine in Miyata-cho, Kurate-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture on 4 December 1943. Renamed as No.12 Dispatched Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on 10 April 1944. Renamed as No.9 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in August 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Kaijima Coal Mining and Ohnoura Coal Mining used 792 POWs (495 Dutch, 243 British, 43 American and 11Australian). 47 POWs died while imprisonment.

Fukuoka

No.14 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Fukuoka No.14 Branch Camp/ Nagasaki Mitsubishi Dockyard Branch/ Camp Fukuoka 14-B

福岡俘虜収容所第14分所/ 長崎三菱造船分所

Established as Fukuoka No.14 Branch Camp at Saiwai-cho, Nagasaki City, Nagasaki Prefecture on 22 April 1943. Camp was destroyed in Atomic Bomb on 9 August 1945 and closed in September 1945. Nagasaki Dock, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. used 195 POWs (152 Netherlands, 24 Australian and 19 British). 113 POWs died. 7 POWs were killed of Atomic Bomb.

Fukuoka

No.17 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Omuta Miike Branch Camp/ Fukuoka 17-B Branch Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第17分所/ 大牟田三池分所/ 三井鉱山三池鉱業所/

Established as No.17 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in Shin-Minato, Omuta city, Fukuoka Prefecture on 10 August 1943. Camp losed in September 1945. Miike Mining of Mitsui Mining Co. Ltd (present Nippon Coke & Engineering Co.Ltd) used 1.737 POWs (730 American, 420 Australian, 332 Netherlands, 250 British, 5 other nationalities). 138 POWs died during the internment. One American POW died from starvation in prison cell. Another was shot to dead due to his attempt to escape. The Branch camp commander Lt. Takashi Yuri, Captain Isao Fukuhara and other two Japanese were sentenced to death in the postwar War Crime Tribunal.

Fukuoka

No.22 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp

Honami Branch Camp Fukuoka 22-B Fukuoka No.22 Branch Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第22分所/ 穂波分所/ 住友鉱業忠隈鉱業所

Established as No.22 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp was at Tadakuma Coal Mine in Honami village, Kaho-gun, Fukuoka prefecture on 15 January 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Tadakuma Mining station of Sumitomo Metal Mining (present Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd.) used 302 POWs (190 Netherlands, 88 Australia, 24 American 24). 66 POWs died during the internment.

Fukuoka

No.27 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp 

Tagawa Branch Camp/ Fukuoka 27-B/ Fukuoka No.27 Branch Camp

福岡俘虜収容所第27分所/ 田川分所/ 田川炭坑/ 三井鉱山田川鉱業所

Established as No.27 Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp in Oaza-Nara, Tagawa-cho (current Tagawa City), Tagawa-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture on 10 May 1945. Camp closed in September 1945. Mitsui Mining Tagawa Station used 398 POWs (198 Netherlands, 81 American, 73 British, 46 Australian) . 3 POWs died during imprisonment.

Civilian

(Bubutan Camp) 882

Civilian

(Madioen Camp) 600

Civilian

Banjoewangi 682

Civilian

Java Internment Camp 10990

Civilian

No.2 Branch Camp of Java Civilian Camp 33424

Civilian

Soerabaia 13 (Surabaya)

その他

(Branch number unknown) 9172

その他

(No.1 Branch Camp)

その他

[Ambon]